If you are a homeowner or occupier of buildings affected by flooding, contact your local council:
For more information on how damaged buildings are managed in an emergency, see the Ministry for Business Innovation and Employment website.
EQCover provides the following:
EQCover available for damage to houses and land:
- if the house is damaged by a landslide, cover is available up to the building cap (up to $150k or $300k, depending on the policy renewal date)
- cover for repair or reinstatement of some residential land, up to the value of the insured land.
Flood and storm damage
EQCover only applies to insured land, with private insurers generally providing cover for homes.
- removal of flood debris such as silt and fallen trees.
Land claims can take some time to resolve and communication between impacted people and their insurer is critical. Information that may be useful for homeowners is linked below.
EQCover GENERAL GUIDANCE
- Householders’ Guide to EQCover– overview of how EQCover works, what is and isn’t covered, and how EQCover claims are settled.
- Householders’ Guide to Residential Land– overview of how EQCover works for insured residential land, what is and isn’t covered.
Whakapā atu ki tō kaunihera
Contact your Council
Masterton District Council
161 Queen Street, Masterton
27 Lincoln Road, Masterton
Phone: 06 370 6300
54 Queen Street, Masterton
Carterton District Council
28 Holloway Street, Carterton
Phone: 06 379 4030
50 Holloway Street, Carterton
South Wairarapa District Council
19 Kitchener Street, Martinborough
Phone: 06 306 9611
70 Fitzherbert Street, Featherston
89 Main Street, Greytown
PO Box 9, Carterton, 5743
This page brings together information and resources for individuals and communities across Wairarapa impacted by natural hazards.