Damaged Buildings


If you are a homeowner or occupier of buildings affected by flooding, contact your local council:

For more information on how damaged buildings are managed in an emergency, see the Ministry for Business Innovation and Employment website.


EQCover provides the following:

Landslip damage

EQCover available for damage to houses and land:

    • if the house is damaged by a landslide, cover is available up to the building cap (up to $150k or $300k, depending on the policy renewal date)
    • cover for repair or reinstatement of some residential land, up to the value of the insured land.

Flood and storm damage

EQCover only applies to insured land, with private insurers generally providing cover for homes.

    • removal of flood debris such as silt and fallen trees.

Land claims can take some time to resolve and communication between impacted people and their insurer is critical. Information that may be useful for homeowners is linked below.



Whakapā atu ki tō kaunihera

Contact your Council

Masterton District Council

161 Queen Street, Masterton
27 Lincoln Road, Masterton


Visit Website

Phone: 06 370 6300




Masterton Library

54 Queen Street, Masterton

Carterton District Council

28 Holloway Street, Carterton


Visit Website

Phone: 06 379 4030

Email: info@cdc.govt.nz


Carterton Library

50 Holloway Street, Carterton

South Wairarapa District Council

19 Kitchener Street, Martinborough


Visit Website

Phone: 06 306 9611

Email: enquiries@swdc.govt.nz

Featherston Library

70 Fitzherbert Street, Featherston

Greytown Library

89 Main Street, Greytown


Recovery Manager,
PO Box 9, Carterton, 5743

This page brings together information and resources for individuals and communities across Wairarapa impacted by natural hazards.